Active Shooter Level I
Active Shooter Level I
Time: (16 hours/2 days)
Class Size: Minimum of 24 and max of 30 students per class, from multiple agencies
Prerequisite: Sworn law enforcement officers only
Required Equipment: Good attitude, open mind, pen and paper, duty gear, body armor, groin protection, and appropriate clothing for "force-on-force" training (i.e. long sleeve shirt, gloves, etc.) Head, eye, and throat protection will be provided by ALERRT
Description: This dynamic course of instruction is designed to prepare the first responder to isolate, distract, and neutralize an active shooter. This course will cover shooting and moving, threshold evaluation, concepts and principles of team movement, setting up for and room entry techniques, approach and breaching the crisis site, secondary responder tactics, improvised explosive devices, and post engagement priorities of work. The course will culminate with dynamic force‑on‑force scenarios.
If you are interested in hosting this class, please see the requirements listed below then fill out a Hosting Request Form.
1) The primary host agency must be a state or local agency.
2) Each class is required to be filled with sworn state and local law enforcement officers from multiple agencies. In the event that federal or military personnel are inquiring about registering, and you have given priority to state/local officers, you are allowed up to 3 slots to approve for federal/military. These federal/military students must not take seats from state or local officers.
3) The host agency will provide an unoccupied school building with wide hallways and multiple classrooms or a similar ALERRT-approved facility. The building must have electricity, water, restrooms and climate control if needed. The building must be clean enough for participants to lie on the floor during scenarios. At least one room, on site, must have tables or desks and chairs to accommodate the entire class comfortably for the lecture portion of the training. ALERRT will bring the computer, projector and extension cords to deliver the classroom lecture portion of the training, if necessary. ALERRT will provide all of the equipment for the training as well as paperwork, resupplies and consumables. We will not damage the facility in any way. We do use marking cartridges for the force-on-force training but we do not leave any residue behind. 95% of our training is done in unoccupied schools that are currently in use. Occasionally, we will use a decommissioned school that is being readied for remodel or reconstruction. We have used approved empty hospitals, office buildings, courthouses. These buildings must be approved by our training division. The host must send photos and description of building if approval is needed.
4) The host agency will be responsible for registration. We will post the class to our website under ‘Upcoming Courses’, and list the POC’s contact information for registration. Under special circumstances, we can remove the class from the website at the agency’s request.
5) The host agency is responsible for the advertisement of the class. We will send you the course flyer for distribution.
6) ALERRT will issue certificates for all classes and, in Texas, we will post hours to TCOLE.
7) In the event a class can’t be filled ALERRT reserves the option to open registration nationwide or cancel the class.
For questions specific to Level I courses, please contact Armando Ramirez at email@example.com.